15 August 2005

 

Burma...tick

Just got back from a lovely day trip to the exciting and ever name changing country of Burma/Myanmar. Supposedly it is one of the most oppressive regimes in the area and so I am assuming the reason I couldn't find any postcards is that they do not have a postal system (they don't have free press so this is not that ridiculous). But I have fresh new (dry!) 30 day Thai stamp!

Accompanying me on the visa run were Jeremy (the guy from GW) and Neil. Neil is a gentleman (word used loosely) from Wales who has been here for about seven months. Wales, like most of the UK, is more known for its pasty skin than sunny weather (I'm not sure Wales is known for anything else really...) so it is quite impressive that Neil's skin looks more like a leather briefcase, a heavily tatooed leather briefcase. He also has the distinct Welsh ability to spew out a stream of expletives that would make a fisherman cringe and follow that up with a rendition of Dido or "nine-stone cowboy" that would, well, make a fisherman cringe. Regardless, Neil is a fantastic guy (as long as you avoid the bobcat when he is driving it) and a great person to work and drink with.

Earlier this evening, while looking for more people to drink with, I stumbled onto a beach bonfire. Perfect, I said to myself taking a seat in the sand. But oh how our eyes deceive us. The girl next to me told me, quite cheerily, that I was welcome to "join the night of singing and worship of our lord". And I swear to god, with no exaggeration, the only song that popped into my mind was a particularly offensive verse of "Jesus Can't Play Rugby" (google this if you don't get the reference).

Cheers to being careful around church groups and having hot water for the first time in 33 days

Steve

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?