27 October 2005

 

Day 11: Gokyo Ri (5357m). 4 Hours

Had a great night sleep and woke about 7:30 to head up the peak. Took a few early morning photos with the lake relecting and headed up. The climb was long, seemed tougher than Kala Pattar but much kinder than Cho La with 35lbs. The view from Gokyo Ri was incredible. Absolutely stunning. Down valley is Kontega, Thamserko and Kusum Kangarua: white mountains framed against the blue. Coming slightly east are the peaks of Taboche, Cholatse, Laboche and the Cho La pass. Directly east is the money shot, Makalu then the Nuptse-Lhotse ridge and finally Everst, soaring above all the other mountains in the world. Beyond Everest looms Tibet and up valley stands the Cho Oyu.

The top of Gokyo is slathered in prayer flags and the waving colors and OM MANI PADME HUMs looke awesome agaisnt the blues, whites and blacks of the Himalayas. Fouind a nice place to chill out and watched the mountains, crows, vulture/eagle/flying snow leopard and the clouds. They floated in at about 5,000m leaving the towering peaks in view except for the occasional wisp which would envelop me and I was reminded of Gunter's (dive guide) saying to "stare out into the white".

Sorry if this has been a bit woordy or even lyrical, but I finished my James Ellroy novel (think LA Confidential) and picked up "The best of Outside" (from the highest bookshop in the world) and I think its changed my literary style a bit (like using adjectives other than awesome).

Also, huge shout out to Albert, Jill, Arthur and especially Julie who fed me a dinner of such delicacies as hot chocolate (excuse me, super charges) and chocolate lemon cake and let me win at hearts.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?