16 October 2005

 

Trekking Trekking Trekking

Tomorrow morning I take off with Depu of Gurhka Encounters for a 17 (minimum) day trek through the Everest region. We start with a flight into Lukla (an airstrip flattened by dancing sherpas) then will hike for around six days to Gokyo. Gokyo is meant to have fantastic views of the Himalaya range plus some really fucking cold lakes. After Gokyo we head back a bit to Cho La pass which at 5,420meters will be the highest I've ever been in my life (including that one substance abuse saturday) and then will drop down into the Khumbu. From there its a couple days up to Kallapatar (more awesome views) and then to Everest Base Camp. After that we trek back down towards Tengboche and Namche Basar (now I'm just name dropping) maybe with a few day side trek to the base (or top!!!) of Mt. Island (oddly it is not an island). Then its back to Lukla, back to K'du and figuring out if the rest of my time would be better spent in a national park playing with elephants or doing a mountain bike tour of the valley... suggestions?

So I won't be posting for a good bit but I promise lots and lots of pictures when I get back. Also, if you haven't gotten a postcard now is about the last time you can send me your address to get one (unless you want one of beautiful Denver, CO).

NAMASTE!

Ang Steve Sherpa

Comments:
You know how we used to run from vickers around east and to trinity. Then we'd sit down and have a beer and think about how we were once in shape? That was maybe 3 miles at sea level. You are in no position to be hiking around at that elevation. RIP.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?