09 April 2007

 

The more things change...


The stangest part about this trip has been how so many things have changed here. But one thing that hasn't: Sangsom still makes me black out (a fact that shouldn't be too surprising). Last night I celebrated my birthday at Fishermans (after a nice dinner with the Thais I worked with) and was plied with Sangsom and Red Bulls all night. According to the receipts I made it to the new 7-11 in town and I have a faint recollection of a conversation with Da (the old Marlin bartender). Anyways, I woke up to that reasurringly familiar experience of walking early in the warm morning to Khao Lak Seafood hungover, listening to Counting Crows and enjoying my tea and toast.

Earlier on Sunday we trekked out to Koh Kho Khao and saw the completed (and occupied) houses! It was very cool to see people living in the houses we built even if most of them had no idea why American tourists were taking pictures of them doing their laundry. Its also very cool to see the people in Bang Sak not only living in the houses but running small businesses (barber shop, restaurant, etc) in them. We did see Kung who very happily recognized us immediately and ferried us back to the mainland.


(Kung and his house on the far left)


Today I finished up my second BBQ which, like everything else, isn't quite the same as the first one. Now I'm running errands before my 3 days of diving in the Similans tomorrow! First errand was, naturally, an hour message on the beach as the sun set (the second Thai women fanning me was nice, the frog that jumped on me not so nice). Anyways, lets hope for manta rays.

Mai pen rai!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?